All races start and finish at the Willard Creek Trailhead at the end of Forest Service Road 4014. Primitive camping is available. There are no amenities other than porta-potties, which will be delivered sometime the day before the race. Allow 45 minutes driving time from Helena to the race start. See Directions tab for driving directions.
Race start is 7:00 am. The finish cut off time is 10:00 pm.
This run is primarily through unforgiving, remote, and spectacular Montana back country. Experience real Montana, leave civilization behind.
- The course is approximately 32.7 mile long. 88% non-motorized technical trail, 12% rough and rocky jeep/ATV trail.
- 7,875 feet of elevation gain.
- Elevation ranges between 5,300 feet and 8,000 feet above sea level.
- Asphalt? No. Concrete? No. Forests, meadows, rocks, and cold, clear creeks to splash through? Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
- Chase Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Coyote, Mountain Goats, and Badgers…maybe get chased by them.
- The 15 hour cut off time is allowed to match the 50 mile finish time. Take your time, enjoy the great Montana outdoors.
- Low key, laid back Montana atmosphere…..like ultrarunning used to be. Once you finish, we invite you to hang out in the finish area, enjoy post-race food and drinks, and share your race experience.
The course is challenging for both new and experienced trail runners, but finishing is not impossibly difficult.
Aid Station Splits prior to 2015 are for previous versions of the course.
For GPS track of the current 50K course, click on the link below:
Click on the images below for course map and course profile.
Questions? Comments? Email the Race Director: firstname.lastname@example.org